Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Put in Triche!

I never like to call out players on teams I like,  but sometimes it needs to be done.  I think Scoop Jardine needs to not have the ball in his hands so much and play a smaller role in running the offense.  Don't get me wrong, Scoop is a great player and I'm glad he is on the team, but he has had several disappointing performances in some key games this year, and after Brandon Triche led the way with 20 points in last night's game, something needs to be said.  Scoop is an effective player on the fast break, but in the half court he doesn't make as many good decisions and looks for his own shot too much when he should be looking to get the rest of the team involved.  If you look at the stats you can see that Scoop averages pretty much 3 turnovers a game compared to only about 2 for Triche.  Triche has better shooting percentages, scores almost as many points and yet sees less minutes than Scoop, especially in the second half.  Triche is also an exceptional athlete, can create his own shot off the dribble and get to the rim, and do things like this.  Did I mention he is a guard?  I have seen multiple times where he gets to the rim and tries to put someone on a poster.  The kid goes hard.  I am not saying to completely take Scoop out of the offense.  I am just saying more players, like Triche and Dion Waiters who I think is a future star, need to get more involved.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're failing to see the experience that Scoop brings. You've got to remember that even the best players go through droughts. Scoop may have more turnovers, but he's also playing more minutes. If things don't get better before the Big East tournament, then start to worry. Perhaps Boheim will try them in at the same time more often and let Scoop work on rotating the ball to Triche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best thing to get someone over their drought is to bench them though. In hockey if your best player is in a drought you move him down from the first line to the third or fourth line and if that doesn't work you don't dress him for a game or two. Cut his minutes and limit his playing time. That sends the message that whatever you are doing isn't working so find a way to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that they have to do something, they're in the middle of the pack in the Big East right now and if they don't make a move quickly, there may be an early exit in store for Cuse' at MSG in a couple weeks. I'm not a Syracuse fan myself, but if I was I would have faith in Boheim; the guy is a winner, he'll find a way to make things work.

    ReplyDelete