Monday, February 21, 2011

Big road win

Before we get to the current Syracuse team, news just broke on ESPN that former Syracuse star Carmelo Anthony has been traded to the Knicks.  It is about time.  I really didn't want to see him get traded to the Nets.  Anyways, the 'Cuse grinded out an overtime win against Rutgers as Rick Jackson poured in 18 points, 12 rebounds, and seven blocks, and also made the free throw to send the game to overtime.  It was a good win in what some would consider a trap game with the team traveling to Villanova for a Big Monday matchup against the Wildcats.  Scoop Jardine must have taken my last post to heart as he scored 20 big points in the game.  He did have five turnovers though due to some sloppy ball handling.  He needs to work on that if the team is going to make a deep run in the Big East Tournament and NCAA Tournament.  The team has two regular season games left before the Big East Tournament: Saturday on the road at Georgetown and then the following Saturday at home against DePaul.  Let's talk more about the Carmelo trade though.  As you may remember, Carmelo was on the 2003 National Title team at Syracuse where Hakim Warrick made one of the best plays I have seen to seal the win.  I am excited about Carmelo's trade to the Knicks though.  It gives them a solid foundation with him and Amar'e Stoudemire, but the Knicks had to trade a lot of people to get 'Melo.  But it is probably worth it when you get a guy that can do this.  Although I don't think it makes them a title contender this year, it has Knicks fans excited for the future.  That's about all I have for now, but I will leave you with another sports-related video that always makes me chuckle.  Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Melo to the Knicks will be clutch for them especially next season when they have a chance to bring in a more solid supporting cast for him and Amare. I think him and Amare will be able to open up the outside for shooters. Even if they bring in a younger guy to be able to spot up and shoot 3's, it will take so much pressure of the two stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with the Melo trade is they, esentially, traded Felton for Billups, who I think will struggle to run the point in D'Antoni's system and they gave up Galli. Galli is my favorite player and is the reason I started watching the Knicks a few years back, way before Stoudemire joined the team.

    As for the Orange, a lot of my friends are from around Syracuse and are big fans. I've never paid much attention to college basketball but when I did Georgetown was my team because of Patrick Ewing, my favorite NBA player ever. Now I actively root for Georgetown just to piss them off.It's hilarious how upset some of them get.

    -Chris G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Syracuse definitely came out with a key win against Villanova. I really didn't think they were going to pull it off. I've been an avid SU fan for a while now and I'm hoping they can start living up to the a legend like Melo now that he's back in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While some people are saying the Knicks games up too much for Melo', I have to disagree. The six players no longer on their roster were solid, but they were never going to bring a title to NYC. Now there is a chance, maybe not this year, but if the Knicks land CP3, one would be hard pressed to not consider the Knicks a legitimate title contender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that everyone is a basketball expert. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete